s

Monday, July 21, 2008

or do you seek loving


Hold My Hand Video

Sometimes, you cant go wrong with a little dark tune with a dirty glamourous tint to it can you?

I know I cant.




I never was the dance or electronica kid, and only came into the whole thing rather recently. The popular ones like Hot Chip, The Whip and the like were all discovered whenever Ali, the hmv resident dance go to guy, put them on the shopfloor radio during the nights. Unkle too once, and I was quite blown away by it.

Sure unkle may be a little gimmicky and uneven but it was sufficiently interesting for me that I plugged the album in on the long walk down the streets of town to dhoby ghaut one night and realized it was very good music to *go with*. And listening to alone. I suppose it was something to do with a kind of grittiness that pervaded Unkle's music which went well with the concrete jungle of this fine island. Like the video you see, all dark muted colours of grey and dark green.

The song that struck me most was this, " Hold My Hand".

The lyrics are simple and straightforward, but the vocalists drones it in such a way that, along with the whole apocalyptic morbidness of the song, evokes such a bleak and eerie soundscape that it is actually quite frightening. Plus the guitars actually *groan*, and I do not know how that exactly works but it does, and rather effectively gives the utterly already intense texture of the song a visceral quality that just makes it more immediate.

Oh and the video, the video. It basically is just one extended metaphor for a relationship, but I really like the narrative focus and determination that carries very well throughout. Is he dead weight or not? *Why* exactly is she willing to drag him around? What could possibly explain it? Can the simple act of holding a person's hand ever mean so much? Ever been in a relationship where on retrospect, it just feels like someone has been dragging the other? Well I have not, so dont go thinking too much into my interpretation of this clip.

However the very interesting thing that happens in the video is right at the end. The part where he finally responds, right after she *lowers herself down to his eye level*. Says a little doesnt it?

But I don't know.

UNKLE - Hold My Hand

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home