s

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

( chime)

Oh dont you just love the rush of spontaneity and the weird detours it can lead you to take?

I was at the first floor of hmv today for most of the morning, busying myself with nothing much other than just the odd tidying up of the stray cd case and random digging around on amazon ( what was a front page link to kayaks that initially caught my eye ( yeh damn imagine if I can fit one of those in my packs and cycle. Paddle? eh) somehow led to a ' Equipment For Everything From A Disaster To A Zombie Invasion' guide list which in turn led me to this book which I'm really interested in now and woah ok im sidetracking. You get the idea. )

Anyhow a customer came up to the counter clutching a magazine and a book. It turned out to be the Other Boelyn Girl, and that piqued my interest because I just had a running argument with js at NUS the day before about Portman and Johansson in the film. I asked whether she watched it already or not, and yeh she said she did, and asked the same about me too. Nope I have not, I replied, and heh she scowled a bit when I told her that I wasnt going to watch the film because word of mouth goes that it is not that good. So she said that maybe it was a ' girl show', and that you have to go ' deeper' because of the politics and rivalry etc to which I expectedly I went wha?

But no, the clincher is this. She then asked whether I knew a bit of the backstory, and upon me saying yeh she said this:

" I watched the show with my sister, and it was kinda weird because I do have a love-hate relationship with her too."

Huh.

Wow.

I never really thought of it * that* way, but really wow. You know certain times where a lightbulb just suddenly switches on in your head and for that brief instant of time you are completely floored by the sudden realization as to all the other scenarios out there with doors that just opened? All due to a pivot that suddenly turned and just for that small second, that wisp, you feel like things have to be thought in a different way in light of this new development..

I may not be really clear, and rereading the above paragraph I realize I'm not exactly doing it justice, but yeh just that one statement made by a random passerby. Makes you think doesnt it?
I mean a second and a half after she said it, an image of her and her sister beside leaning back on their seats at the cinema, flicking wary glances at each other while watching a *period* piece about the rivalry between two siblings, flashed by. I wonder what her thoughts were then. I wonder what her sister's thoughts were then. I wonder about the awkwardness. I wonder how they felt later.

Here's a song from another period piece I watched before that stunned me so too the first time I heard it. It is a piano tune by the Aphex Twins. Go google them up, and perhaps you may understand why put their name in italics, and why that particular one is worthing posting.

The show was Marie Antoinette.

Aphex Twins - Avril 14th

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home