s

Thursday, April 03, 2008

careful and quiet/ but who would call it cautious

There's really so much at hmv that im considering staying past the May/June deadline I set myself. The till isnt really that bad actually, and besides you get to mess about with the airplay while at it. Rotating shifts on the first floor is terrible though. Reduced to nothing more than a glorified receptionist, directing people upstairs or just using the computer. You dont really get to help people find the music they want.

Anyhow im afraid that i've allowed myself into a whole deluge of new music that i've previously never got a chance to listen to because they were a) impossible to download b) expensive and risky for $30. I do not think im giving sufficient listening time to everything, and I may be falling into ' skipping to the singles' tracks of each album. I think by the time I leave the store I will have more than enough music to last me through university. Haha a fleeting thought of thinking of a way to soundproof my future hostel room came to mind.

There are really lots of songs I want to write about here, but really I think im too lazy at times. In fact when I started this post I had another band in mind, but screw that. So here's a song from a new cd that came in just a few nights back, from a band called I Was A Cub Scout. Their sound is a bit like a cross between Snow Patrol and Pinback, with slight tinges of catchy syths layered over a semi blase male vocal. To tell the truth it's a bit ' teenagerish' kind of music, however saying it like that is very prone to misunderstanding so I shall just focus on the song here.

" Lucean" is friggin gorgeous. It's probably those tingling piano chords that echo throughout. The real thing that caught me was how the many instruments used were layered and introduced in, bit by bit, and entering a harmony that is really wow. Im usually doubtful of trumpets, but here it's actually quite nice. I can keep this song on repeat, just to listen each time when each instrument is brought in, and completely just focus on that weave.

It's such a song you would expect to be at the end of an album, a song that takes time to catch on and show its true colours, plus I was impressed too that I Was A Club Scout chose to track this as number three on the disc. Nothing else on the album struck me as much as this, or maybe it's just the ' skip to the singles' trap again.

A good song to listen to on the train.

I WAS A CUB SCOUT - LUCEAN


random: I think cat steven song covers as soundtracks are good. Just watched Charlie Bartlett and If You Want To Sing, Sing Out featured prominently. So as I told xj the similarities to ' Rushmore' are really quite a few, including a cat stevens cover it seems.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home