s

Saturday, February 16, 2008

i let my music take me where my heart wants to go

take that generic Hillsong song!
I normally would not use the word ' pure' to describe a song, but *pure* this is, and utterly searing too. What melody, and lyrics, strung together by a simple guitar strum that has never failed to hook my ears and heart despite countless repeats.

" The Wind" was sent to me by a friend on a compilation, which has really impressed me very much so. The song was featured in the movie ' Rushmore', which I mentioned once before, at the point in the show where Max finally stops being a complete idiot. Fitting in more ways than one.

The one thing that stands out most about this song are its lyrics. Simple, evocative, and most importantly honest. It is not overtly a " religious" song, but for me it speaks to me so much more than any of the rather bland and directionless ( for me anyway) ' praise/ worship' songs out there so liked by many. I mean just take a look at the line " Where I'll end up well I think/ Only God really knows". Simple, utterly unpretentious, and rarest to find of all, sung with a pure humility that kinda sums up how silly people can be when they think too much of anything.

Yusuf Islam wrote this in the mid seventies, just when he was about to retreat from the whole pop music scene to sort himself out. I'm amazed at how such simple lyrics can conjure up such a dazzling evocative journey. The title - The Wind, speaks volume by itself already, segues perfectly with a melody that slips along nicely. There's a certain unforgotten quiet mischievousness that carries the lyrics along very well too, which adds real life and intimacy from the singer.

I don't know but I think this would be the kind of song I'd like to be able to sing truthfully and fully when I'm old and wizened. hah. For really the overwhelming sense of ' The Wind ' ( wonderfully paradoxically dont you think) is one of sheer plaintive -peace.

You know how sometimes, being around a certain person brings a certain sense of ' just right'? well it's the same with this song too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home