s

Monday, December 24, 2007

there's a light in your eyes and it never goes out

right enough about the electronica. I've come to realize that I kinda do enjoy house dance music like Daft Punk and the softer kind like Goldfrapp, but there is no way I can stand up to the pounding pulses of the real club stuff that the dance maestro colleague of mine likes to put on in the evenings at hmv. It got so bad that I actually had a headache come on, and it is kinda seriously distracting to devote half your brain to damping down the pulsating beats while helping out the next customer. Hm.

I suppose im simply not the hard clubber kind of person, the sort more who rather much prefers just settling down for a warm drink for the night and just talking till that magic 3am time where everyone starts blabbing no matter their real shell in the day. And this I just did last night, with three of the most memorable people I've met while at work. Grace, Jenn, and her sister Jasmine. I did mention in my last post about writing up the interesting people I've met at work, and the reason why it has taken so long is because well, it was already baked and done in my head, but as things go I was not expecting two people to walk in late one night just last week asking to try out the Apples In Stereo, Arcade Fire and Rilo Kiley ( was it her? i cant remember you have to jog my memory) and well, one thing just led to another. Thankfully we were winding down for the night then, so I could just hang around the counter. It's not everyday you meet someone who takes in so readily to the sparseness of Taken by Trees and the liveliness of Camera Obscura so equally.

For all the over analytical semi brooding ( must be the weather) observations in the last post, the people who walk town arent all just like that. It's always amazing how much a person opens up just as soon as one decides to make just a bit effort and take a small interest in their interests. If not then perhaps I 'd not have had met that 80s music loving fair air stewardness who really did not look like she was was from abu dubai. You know she's someone special when she brazenly leans over the counter and exclaims " Smile! Stop frowning!" to a colleague of mine who I think, is sort of hardened after close to a decade helping people from the other side. Hah and even now I cant stop myself from smiling when I remember her humming the tune to UB40's " red red wine" in a game of guess the tune.

Or how about that old man who walked in asking for our selection of karaoke hits and me finding out that the reason he was looking for " quando quando quando" was it was requested at a pub/club he frequented because he just loved taking the stage on open mic nights and singing for the whole fun of it. His wife attested personally of his singing prowess to me while he went off to the toilet, and that I believe is proof enough.

Maybe I'd not have met then, Scott the American who was more than happy to share his love for the Beatles when I on a whim, decided to ask which album of theirs he would recommend to someone who has never really got into their music before. " Ah," he says, " there's no doubt it's this.", showing me the album I just hunted down for him on the first floor. He told me how he owns the original vinyl for the Beatles' "White Album", one of only 2000 in the world, with the original cover showing Lennon and Ono *completely* naked from the front and them from the back on the back sleeve. Since it has never been opened before and is in perfect mint condition he reckons an estimate of 100,000 usd. He remembers the first time he saw the Beatles when he was six, how he couldnt hear anything for the whole crowd was screaming, and how he described the whole Beatles experience for him in his life. " It was just - wow!- so different from anything we've ever heard before." before puffing out his cheeks and widening his eyes in an expression that I just remember, I find so familiar because old Mr Lofthouse from tsd did *exactly* the same when we spoke of it once before.

Then there's the Tokio Hotel sisters; the aunt who was looking for songs for her 6 yr old niece to sing at her compeition; the small kid who listens to terrifyingly heavy metal; the indiepop couple; the techno-trance-music only tatooed guys; the Japanese mom and daughter. Well you kinda get to meet all sorts. Everyone from the Malay mom in conservative headscarf who was totally lost in the heavy metal section while looking for a present to get for her son whom she knows like listening to that kind of music, to the ang mo lang girls who walk in and simply open boxes of shirt one after another with an air of "ooh I dont care because the world owes me a favour". There is just something within me that gets me extremely pissed off when people, no matter who they are, start acting like that. No exceptions.

Funny. Seems like my stint over at hmv will not be defined by the music around me like I initially thought, but more by the people I meet along the way who can be so much more unpredictable and interesting than any song can ever hope to be. But perhaps you are right Jas, people are like songs, in a way I guess.

In a way.

ok look, Grace, Jenn, and Jas. This song's for you. The Lucksmiths vibe kinda fits.

The Lucksmiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (Cover)

written by Morrissey from the Smiths fame, for a random stranger he met and struck him so.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home