s

Monday, January 21, 2008

and then came the rush of the flood

norah jones was actually not bad at all
Quite unplanned, I watched another double bill, but this time on the big screen. My Blueberry Nights/ Cloverfield may seem an odd match just like how Breakfast At Tiffany's/ Die Hard 4.0 was, but that's just how it goes and I really like it that way.

A very strong highlight of Nights was the soundtrack, which I had for some reason bought way earlier beforehand when the shipment of ltd ed of the cds came into HMV. To the surprise of me then, the only forty copies we brought in sold out *completely* within two days. After watching the show I understand why though, for music is such a nuanced cornerstone of every wong kar wai film so much so that it's not just appropriate background music but as much of the story itself.

It sounds childish now thinking about it, but I was a tad disappointed when what was easily the strongest song was introduced so early in the show. I'm always a believer in saving the best for last see? Cat Power's " The Greatest" segues effortlessly with lyrics that take a look at anyone who have realized that getting what they want and being happy are two entirely different things. How this ties into the film I'll leave it up to you.

Nights is one of those rare shows that may seem draggy while you watch it, but coalesces nicely and more importantly, *warmly* as it goes along, which even extends to even after you watch it. Just cut away some of the cheesy exchanges between jude law and norah jones along with toning down the overuse of jarring ' fade to blacks', a wariness of which I still harbor probably left over from my tsd days, and it would have much better for me.

Cat Power - The Greatest

On another note. Another Concretes album was sold! This time to a twentyfivish girl who came in last night looking for Peter, Bjorn and John not simply because of hearing another of those bleh techno mixes of Young Folks on the dance floor, which happens often enough that I just shrug whenever I see Writer's Block sandwiched between Groove Armada and something else while I do cashiering. hai saying it like that is so music snobbish, but *still*.

Anyhow what piqued my interest in her was that she came in asking for their *first* album, and well it somehow led to the Concretes in her hands which she took just one listen of and immediately paid for it. yay.

And someone else in Singapore has the US import of the Pipettes too now. Too bad I didnt see who got it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home