s

Sunday, October 08, 2006

there's twenty seven shades of blue

I cannot say I know much of the music in the 50s/60s, but somehow this song reminds me of what I would like to think that period exemplified: the pop goodness of Dusty Springfield comes to mind. If sunshine could be distilled, it would probably be in the form of the gorgeous melody here, at home in a soaring resigned-to-heartache of an epic epic glazed with Ali Howard's ( the blonde songtress in the picture below)clear and luscious vocals singing lyrics enough to get you through and dark night.

As did I, the song may strike you as a little too sacharrine and sweet at first. Partly due to how unique Ali sounds. But give her a chance, her voice really did start to grow on me as I realized every single nuance and tinge in her uniqueness was sheer warmth and sincerity that was not artificial at all in anyway.Actually, me merely describing this tight timeless tune is not enough to do it justice, so let me quote Lucky Soul's guitarist and songwriter Andrew Laidlaw words that pin down what they wove into the song in a way that I am simply unable to express with mere adjectives.
“ It’s like a big, luscious happy-heartache, like watching the sun go down, getting dumped and patting a dog at the same time. Soul music by small town dreamers who don’t pretend to come from the Deep South; Beautiful and self-effacing, bittersweet. Like romance, it seems superficial but runs deep. It doesn’t try to be clever: your guts aren’t clever.”
So there you are.
LUCKY SOUL - LIPS ARE UNHAPPY
Shimmering, super-melodic, heartache and charm on myspace:

And anyway, in the words of music blogger thetorturegarden.blogspot.com: "I'm sick of describing bands by comparing them to other bands. Ok. Unashamed joyous dancing in the street sixties 'Grease' infectious heartfelt sweet motown girl-group wall-of-sound-stealing lovingly written Bacharach-adoring hand-clap clapping utterly enrapturing very very good."

This is a song that has to be carefully played though. Dont put it too often or it will lose its magic..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home