s

Thursday, August 03, 2006

i've been away but now i'm back

Maybe it's just a reflection, but I find myself drawn to things, be they songs and things that consist of what may seem oddly incongruent differences that cannot simply.. work with each other ( mm 'sometimes always') but somehow oddly, at the end of it all, after much trial and error and false starts, find a way to mesh eventually creating something profoundly new and, so I would like to think, more amazing and wonderful than if one merely worked with the same similar components initially. The unexpected from the usual expected. Here again this tendency surfaces again, for I cannot seem to settle on who I like more, the sway of quiet melancholic alluring Mazzy Star ( just look at the video in the previous post) or the dance of all plainly cutesy and yay sunshine zest of the Pipettes.

So imagine my reaction when I came across a cover of ' Sometimes Always' rendered by Brakes & The Pipettes. Interestingly, they have switched the male/female positions in the duet, and subtly changed the whole nature of the song. Depending on you, you can decide that it's a triumph for post-feminism feminism or perfect summer coy pop, but look, now I am simply unable decide which version of the song I prefer, and that is really very telling.

BRAKES & THE PIPETTES - SOMETIMES ALWAYS (COVER)

click to see a video of the Pipette's album single previously mentioned here:


That is Rose again on the left. You can hear and see Hope Sandoval on another video if you scroll down.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home